TV Tips for Kids and Parents

"Idleness is sweet, and its consequences are cruel" - John Quincy Adams


Some parents, at time myself included, use the TV to babysit children. Well, it keeps them quiet and you can get them to stay in one place while I try to finish all housework that needs to be done. However, I 've always made it a point to choose what child is watching.

If its necessary for me to do something and no choice but to leave my four-year old for a few minutes watching TV, then I have a lot of DVD's, contents of which I've previously scanned. It's a no no for me to leave my kid watching TV channels where I don't know what kind of content will be shown. It just scares me because kids now are so impressionable and I've noticed most regular TV shows now even cartoons, can carry sexual, aggressive and violent content. I remember my former officemate telling us that she got the shock of her life when she saw her two children aged 4 and 3 years role playing her daughter screaming "WAG PO!" and son throwing himself on top of her. It just dawned to her that they were apparently re-enacting a rape scene they saw on TV! Her story really scared me.

Even some TV ads needs to be explained to kids, since some promote too much consumerism (notice that during Holiday season!), bad habits like smoking , drinking and eating junk foods!

Some tips:

1. Avoid flipping through channels aimlessly. Turn on the TV only when there is something to watch, then immediately turn it of when you're finished watching;

2. Watch TV with your toddler. This works best, it can be your bonding time and it gives you a chance to discuss what you are watching, and to teach them the difference between reality and make-believe;

3. Keep TV sets out of your toddler's room;

4. Watch TV at a healthy distance to prevent eye problems. Doctors recommend about 8-10 meters away;

5. Choose shows that are age appropriate. My child loves Blue's Clues, Dora the Explorer, Barney.


Post a Comment

0 Comments